Improvements to School Safety Practices
There is nothing more important to us as a district than the safety of our school communities, and to improve in this area, changes have been made to district board and administrative policy. To ensure the smooth implementation of these changes, we believe it is important to communicate at both the district and site levels, so this is the first of several communications about this topic as we move toward implementing these changes.
Our District-wide emphasis on school safety includes the following:
- Before and after school, only students and staff will be allowed inside the campus perimeter.
- Parents can access staff, as they normally would, via the sign in/sign out procedure in the office for meetings and other routine needs.
- While in session, school perimeters will be secure and locked.
- During arrival and dismissal, open gate areas will be supervised.
- Employees will wear their employee badges.
Student release during the school day will be standardized and is as follows:
- Students shall be released during the school day only to the custody of an adult in possession of a valid, government issued photo identification card and if:
- The adult is the student’s custodial parent/guardian
- The adult has been authorized on the student’s emergency card as someone to whom the student may be released with prior authorization from the custodial parent/guardian or when the custodial parent/guardian cannot be reached, and the principal or designee verifies the adult’s identity
- The adult is an authorized law enforcement officer acting in accordance with law
- The adult is taking the student to emergency medical care at the request of the principal or designee
We want to thank our community for sharing this value of safety, and though some of procedures may take some getting used to, they are for the benefit of our students, staff, and parents.
For more detailed information please click on the following link to be redirected to our district message: http://www.vistausd.org/cms/news_item